|Full name:||Hayden Upchurch|
|Occupation:|| Leader of the ComBom|
Host of Radio Free Hayden
The Graveyard (formerly)
Hayden Upchurch is an Unwind who went AWOL around the same time as Connor and several others. From the basement of Sonia's antique shop, they were sent to the Graveyard, where the group stayed for over a year with other AWOLs. Hayden grew to become a loyal friend to Connor.
Hayden is from a wealthy family, whose father is implied to be a powerful figure in the corporate world. His parents divorced and fought over their fortune. Only after spending all the money on lawyers and arguing did they fight over the last thing left: Hayden. They finally agreed that they would both rather have Hayden unwound than have the other parent have custody. Because of this, Hayden despises both of his parents. The teenager escaped before the Juvey-cops could capture him, and arrived at Sonia's safe house.
When being shipped to the Graveyard, Hayden was in a crate with Connor, Emby, and Diego. It was later revealed by Bam that he had served meals during his time there.
Connor once said that Hayden looked like he was from a wealthy family. He is said to be blond with blue eyes, perfect hair, and straight teeth, aided by the fact that he wears braces. Despite his apparently perfect hair, his eyes tell of sleepless nights. According to Connor, he has "a smirk on his face that seems to be permanent". His appearance is possibly less “perfect” during life in the Graveyard.
Hayden is quite the joker; he smirks a lot, to a point where Connor says he can never tell if Hayden is joking or not, as his tone is usually the same. Hayden's personality is a direct result of his parents' divorce and their decision to unwind him, using jokes to cover up his emotions. He believes that if he does not keep laughing, it might "just tear him apart worse than a Chop Shop".
- Hayden once claimed that he will only remain loyal to Connor and the Graveyard until he turns seventeen, and can no longer be unwound. When a fellow wholly points out that he already is seventeen, he tells them "last year didn't count". Despite this, Hayden still remains loyal to Connor.
- Hayden is a Christian, and although it is implied that his faith is not all that important to him, he immediately turns to prayer at the face of death.
- On a related note, Hayden’s name comes from a German word meaning "an unconverted member of a people or nation that does not acknowledge the God of the Bible,” though he is Christian.
- In answer to his question "would you rather die or be unwound", he states he would rather die.
- Hayden's favorite food is spam, which he acquired a taste for while traveling through the safe houses (and jokes about becoming trailer trash for it).
- Hayden's surname "Upchurch" was first revealed by Neal Shusterman on Twitter.
- Neal once stated that Hayden may or may not be gay.